68 x 4m exposures (4h 32m) taken on 8/29 and 8/30/2010.
(Click on the image for a 1:1 version, here for the full uncropped field.).
- Reading online at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephan%27s_Quintet I found out that the 4 galaxies in the quintet aren't close together. One is a mere 39 Mly away, the other three between 200 and 300+ Mly. Notice how the closer one is whiter than the other three? Red shift in action! At least it seems that way :)
- Astute observers will notice there are some uneven patches in the background. I suffer from substantial light polution and I have to remove it using Dynamic Background Extraction in PixInsight. This is a marvelous tool but it can't perform miracles.
- This image shows what kind of detail can be retrieved from High Dynamic Range (HDR) areas like the central galaxy using HDRWT in PixInsight. It restored dust lane detail that was gone after the initial stretch.
- Check articles under Equipment and Articles->Typical Software Stack for more details on hardware and software used.
- Astrometry.net solved image
Last Updated (Monday, 13 September 2010 21:14)